26 Jun Eco-Friendly Choices for Your New Custom Home
How Can Your Custom Home Save Money & The Environment?
There’s a growing concern for the environment that has furthered eco-friendly building in luxury homes. Many custom home builders are now embracing a variety of green building techniques.
If you’re having a custom home built, why not consider using the latest cutting edge technology and green features that are now available. Using products and materials could really make a difference when it comes to doing your part in protecting the environment, while creating a home that’s stylish, comfortable and eco-friendly. Additionally, these techniques can also save you money then it comes to running and maintaining your new custom home.
Energy Efficient Cooling & Heating Systems
Your custom home heating and cooling needs will vary greatly depending on where you build. Cooling and heating needs in Jacksonville, Florida will be very different than in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Many top manufacturers of cooling systems now produce highly efficient systems that can reduce the impact on the environment by saving electric consumption costs and save you money. New systems being installed in houses can be 80% more efficient than systems produced just 10 years ago. Companies like Goodman also manufacture their systems under ISO 14001 standards for efficiency and reduced environmental impact.
Geothermal heating systems are another great green feature you can add to your new custom home and one that will not only help the environment but one that will pay you back as well. Geothermal systems have shown to use 25 to 50 percent less energy than its conventional heating counterparts and they also reduce their corresponding emissions as well.
Sustainable Wood Harvesting
Does your custom home builder use vendors that have sustainable policies in place? Suppliers like Boise Cascade have programs designed to reduce the impact on the environment, and most manufacturer’s processes often increase efficiency, making sure being green won’t cost you more money. Most custom luxury home builders use quality materials from these type of companies to assure that their homes are the best on the market.
Using Bamboo in Your New Custom Home
Bamboo and cork have become wildly popular as green building materials and can be used in a variety of ways. Additionally, bamboo can be made to accommodate many different decors and themes. Such as an Asian theme, beach theme or one that has a tropical vibe. Additionally, they can be painted or stained in any color you like, should you choose to paint over its natural look.
1. Bamboo Flooring. Bamboo flooring is a growing trend in custom home design that’s not only green, but very attractive as well. Bamboo is also very durable and water-resistant, which makes it quite perfect when it comes to a building material. When using bamboo flooring in your new custom home, you should request adhesives that are low VOC.
2. Bamboo Vanities and Cabinets. Bamboo vanities and cabinets can make great green additions to any custom home. They can be stained to imitate the look of ebony, teak or any other wood tone you prefer. Or they can be painted to match the decor of the room. Bamboo vanities and cabinets also look great in their natural form with just a clear coat to protect the surface. Add a decorative vessel sink to your bamboo countertop and you’ll have a unique showpiece that no one else has.
Other Green Features To Consider
There are many green building features you can add to your new custom home that will help protect the environment. Here are some ideas you can take to your builder to talk about the possibility of adding them to your new home.
- smart-home electronic systems
- energy-efficient windows
- Specialized lighting
- foam insulation
- on-site renewable energy generation
- energy efficient appliances
- solar panels
- wind mills
- water-saving appliances
- renewable or recycled building materials
Adding eco-friendly green building features to your new luxury home can be quite stylish and they will allow you to do your part in helping the environment. Take a few minutes to discuss the costs versus the benefits with your custom home builder – then design your new luxury home accordingly.