Arthur Rutenberg Homes is a custom home builder. But, there are many types of home building companies out there. We know it can be challenging understanding who builds where and what. So, here are some short guidelines.
Custom home builders generally offer the following services:
- Build on Your Lot or Ours: Meaning we’ll build on land that you own or on land that one of our Arthur Rutenberg Homes franchised building companies’ own (See Find Your Home). Or we’ll help you to find a Lot with you.
- Build One-of-a-Kind House: A custom home is built for a specific client from a set of plans that were developed specifically to meet the needs of the home buyer. The basis of the design may be one of the plans in our 80 plus plan portfolio or we can start with a blank sheet of paper offering design build services to develop a truly one-of–a-kind customized home plan (See View Our Plan Collection).
In contrast, production home builders generally offer the following services:
- Build on land they own.
- Use stock plans that can offer a limited number of plan choices with a limited number of options.
- Build a large volume of homes.
- Are generally not local companies but are national or regional in scope, with most of the profits returning not to the local economy, but to publicly owned corporations.